Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Don't Forget the Baby!

One of the things I feared most happened last night. I asked my husband to go out to the office (we run a home-based business, the office is practically in our garage) to check on something. On the way out, he nearly stepped on our toddler, Rowan. I mean, he had to step around her because she was in the doorway, and he closed the door behind both her and him.

That wasn't the bad part. About five minutes later, I heard a pounding on the outside screen door. It was Rowan, asking to be let back in! Dave was in the office with the door closed. I went to confront Dave, and he said that he, "Never heard her."

This scares me to death. I had hoped to take a short, just-me vacation in a few weeks, just find a hotel somewhere where I can have a bath without either Rowan or Dave bursting in on me, where I can read a book without disruption, take in some sights without translating in rough hand gestures for Dave. How can I leave, if I am afraid he might not "hear" Rowan in some other situation?

And let's not forget for a minute that this really had nothing to do with "hearing" Rowan. He had to step around her to get out the door. He almost stepped ON her on the way out the door. He closed the door behind the two of them. I know his attention wavers, a side-effect of the stroke. But, how could he not pay attention to our little girl?

What am I going to do?

1 comment:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I can identify with this entry. Last summer I had a knee replacement and I had to train and trust my stroke survivor husband to let the dog outside and in. Hope you get your get -away.