Sunday, September 16, 2007

Keep looking for support groups!

When my husband first had his stroke, there were no caregiver support groups near us. Well, if I wanted to travel an hour each way, I could find one. At the time, I was struggling with my pregnancy, caring for my husband, and hanging onto my job by my fingernails. At least, that is what it felt like.

I recently spoke with someone from the local Maryland Brain Injury Association. I had contacted them looking for a neuropsych counselor for my husband. However, they have been calling me every few weeks, checking to see if we need more help, etc.

The last time they called, I commented how I had little time to help my husband right now, since this is the busy time of year for the family business. I also mentioned how frustrated I was, trying to manage his healthcare, my daughter's life, and the business by myself. The woman on the phone was able to find a caregiver support group that is about 1/2 hour away, and meets once a month. I am hoping to go to it.

For what it is worth, I am of the belief that regardless of whether a loved one has had a stroke, car accident, or other injury, many caregivers experience a common sense of loss. I guess what I am trying to say is, if your loved one had a stroke, don't limit yourself to caregiver support groups that care for stroke patients.

No comments: